Hello friends! This week’s Discover & Explore theme is “winter,” so I thought I would share some winter window art that the twins and I made recently using an easy, albeit messy, technique.
Contact Paper Winter Window Art
I don’t have many photos of the process (my camera battery died…oops!) but luckily it is the same one we used to make our fall leaves resist art suncatcher, so you can hop on over there for photos of the glorious mess!
To make our winter window art, you will need (Amazon affiliate links included for your convenience):
- Clear Contact Paper
- Blue and white powdered tempera paint
- Paper snowflakes (if you need a refresher on how to make them, see my tutorial HERE)
- Cotton balls or large pompoms
Once you’ve gathered your materials, the rest is easy. Peel the backing off of your Contact paper and spread on a flat surface, sticky side up. Place your snowflakes on your sheet of Contact paper in whatever design you would like, making sure that all areas of the snowflake are pressed down. Otherwise, you’ll have some leakage. Once the snowflakes are pressed down, use the cotton balls/pom poms to pat powdered tempera paint onto the exposed sticky paper (this is the messy part- the photo below is from our fall version).
Once you are done, you’ll have something that resembles this:
Now, shake off the excess powder (preferably outside) and then peel off your snowflakes. You’ll have a really cool design left that you can tape up in the window for the sun to shine through. So pretty! And if this isn’t colorful enough for you, be sure to check out our rainbow snowflake window art– equally cool!
Before moving on to Discover & Explore, I wanted to let you know of some changes coming to the linky. After looking at my blogging (and life) goals for 2014, I realized that something had to give- although I don’t want to admit it, I can’t do it all! So, although working with this group of talented bloggers has been an awesome experience, this will be my last Discover & Explore themed post, although I will still be posting the remaining features. But no worries, you can still link up to the party at Fantastic Fun and Learning, Buggy and Buddy, KCEdventures, and a new cohost- Fireflies and Mudpies! I’ll be including a full schedule for Spring 2014 after the linky so you can plan ahead for the new year.
And now, it’s your turn. We’d love for you to share how you Discover and Explore: Winter!
Please read the following guidelines for sharing:
- Share family-friendly posts related to the weekly topic — kids activities, book activities, crafts, recipes, nature outings, free printables–anything that might be helpful to those wanting to put together activities based on this week’s theme
- By linking up, you are giving me permission to share your post including one photo in our weekly feature post and on social media channels.
- Visit 2-3 other posts that have linked up, find some new ideas & meet new friends!
- If you are linking up, please be sure to link back with the Discover and Explore button or a text link to help us get the word out and built our collection of resources to share with you!
The linky will remain open for a week. Then all co-hosts will feature activities in a separate post on Fridays and share featured posts on the Discover and Explore Pinterest Board. If you aren’t already, please remember to follow us so you’re sure not to miss those feature posts. And don’t forget to stop by and visit my lovely co-hosts to see what they are sharing for this week’s theme!