Hi friends! Remember a few weeks ago when I published my glowing review of Spielgaben educational toys? I promised I’d be back with some more ways to play and learn with this amazing battery-free learning tool, so today I am sharing over 20 hands-on activities for preschoolers using Spielgaben manipulatives. Although my family was provided with a complimentary set of materials for my original review, all opinions are 100% my own, and I am just as excited about this set as I was the first day the twins and I opened the box. If you missed my original review, you can catch up here, but be sure to come back and see how you can win a complete set of Spielgaben educational toys (ARV $400) for your family or school!
This post contains Amazon affiliate links at no cost to you.
20 Hands-on Activities for Preschoolers, and a Spielgaben Giveaway!
We’ve been having lots of fun exploring our beautiful Spielgaben materials. Every family or school setting will use these tools a bit differently based on their individual learning philosophies- the beauty of these open-ended manipulatives is that they lend themselves to innovation. Each Spielgaben set comes with a an extremely comprehensive set of learning resources (Play Guides) that you can download and print at your leisure. We have been enjoying a mix of activities from the Play Guides and more open-ended explorations inspired by the natural learning philosophies of Reggio Emilia and Montessori, which is my preferred way of teaching my three-year-olds at home. Since the Play Guide activities are readily available to anyone who purchases the Spielgaben set, I will be sharing some of our open-ended activities with you today to demonstrate some of the amazing possibilities for everyday play in addition to the Play Guide activities. If you have questions about a particular activity, please ask in the comment section and I’ll be sure to answer you!
1. Invitation to create a flower with geometric shapes
2. Sorting by size and color by matching pom poms with corresponding wooden circles
3. Using wooden block set to stamp shapes into gel bags taped in the window to catch the light (hair gel in gallon bags)
4. Color-sorting cone (styrofoam cone, thrifted tray, Spielgaben sticks and threading beads)
5. Constructing with knit balls and toothpicks
6. Making patterns with colored rubber bands and geometric shapes on DIY geoboard
1. Learning about the concepts of solid vs. transparent using geometric Spielgaben shapes and transparent light table pattern blocks on the overhead projector
2. Sorting by size and color with bear counters
3. Pressing small dots into letters shaped from clay (we mostly work with the letters in our names)
4. Beading tree
5. Filling in beautiful/interesting photos placed under small plexiglass sheets with small dots- such a cool way to create art and work on math concepts, too!
6. Making patterns on our large acrylic mirror sheet
1. Color sorting medium sticks by pushing into playdough (inspired by this Montessori fine motor activity by Racheous)
2. Shape collage on clear Contact paper in the window
3. Golf tee push and balance
4. Stamping shapes in gel bags on the light table using wooden block set
One of the twins’ favorite activities so far has been this simple but beautiful invitation I set up to encourage prewriting and patterning- I filled a mirrored tray from Ikea (I ran hot glue around the inside edges to seal the cracks) with black glitter sand and added some clear containers full of lacing beads sorted by color.
More Spielgaben Activities
Here are some more wonderful Spielgaben activities from around the web:
Living Montessori Now has a whole series of posts using Spielgaben manipulatives for a variety of activities.
- Montessori-Inspired Geometry Activities Using Wooden Shapes and Free Printables
- Montessori-Inspired Color Activities Using Wooden Toys and Free Printables
- Montessori-Inspired Math Activities Using Wooden Beads and Free Printables
- Montessori-Inspired Color Activities Using Yarn Balls and Free Printables
I love how Kate of Picklebums talks about using Spielgaben to make math concepts come alive for her kids in her post “Making Maths Real.”
You can find many more activities from bloggers as well as sample inspiration cards, construction cards (we love the nature cards) and story placemats from the Play Guides by checking out Spielgaben’s Pinterest boards. You can also find tons of great Spielgaben inspiration on Instagram by checking out the #spielgaben hashtag- there are many great Instagrammers tagging Spielgaben activities there (including us, which you can follow HERE).
Spielgaben for Speech Therapy
Are you an SLP or have a child who is working on speech and language skills? Tomorrow I’ll be posting some ideas on how Spielgaben can be used to facilitate development of communication skills, so be sure to check back, or better yet, subscribe to Twodaloo by email so you don’t ever miss a post again!
And now…a Spielgaben Giveaway!
What You Will Win:
Thanks to the incredible generosity of Spielgaben, one lucky winner from the U.S. or UK will win a complete set of Spielgaben educational toys which has an approximate retail value of $400!
Who is Eligible:
This giveaway is open to anyone 18 and older in the U.S. and UK. Spielgaben will pay for shipping. The first entry is mandatory- you must leave a comment on this blog post telling why you want to win the Spielgaben set. Important- be sure to click the green “ENTER” on the Rafflecopter form to let me know you left your comment and to open up additional optional entries! After you’ve completed your mandatory entry, there are lots of optional entries so you have many chances to win! For the extra entries, you may count ways of following that you already do- for example, if you already “like” Twodaloo on Facebook, you may still count that for your “like” Twodaloo on Facebook entry. Make sense? If not, leave a comment or shoot me an email and I’ll help you out!
To enter the giveaway, follow the directions on the Rafflecopter widget below. You must complete the Mandatory Entry to qualify for any additional entries. The giveaway closes at 12:00 am (CST) on Friday, April 18, 2014. The winner will be chosen and notified via email within 48 hours of the closing of the contest. If the winner does not respond within 48 hours, a new winner will be chosen. Good luck everyone!